Hospital and Care Center HistoryThe hospital opened for business in 1958 as a county owned facility. The first wing of the original care center was added in the 1960's, followed by a second wing in the early 70's. In 1990, the hospital and care center were re-organized under Minnesota statutes to become a hospital district with taxing authority. The district is governed by a five member elected board of directors.
As the only hospital and care center in Cook County, we have a large and diverse service area. Our customers include not only year round and seasonal residents; we also serve the many people who visit Cook County and the BWCA recreation area.